Bachkovo monastery is located near the village of Bachkovo, about ten kilometers from the town. Nestled in the foothills of the Rhodope Mountains, one of the oldest monasteries in Bulgaria, who preserved the history of several cultures - Byzantine, Bulgarian and starogruzinska.
Monastery "St. Mary of Petrich" was among the princes largest in Bulgaria, it ranks third after Zograph and Rila Monastery. Monastery dating from 1083, its creators are Georgian military commander and his brother. In the first years of its inception, the monastery became a major center of Georgian monasticism. After that was founded here and Literary School, which develops translation and literature, through which place the links between medieval Byzantium and Georgia.
During the Second Bulgarian Empire the monastery enjoyed big dividends and patronage of the Tsar Ivan Assen. Evidence of this is preserved to this day the king's image located in two ossuary. Ossuary is preserved in its authentic form, here you can see uniklani ancient paintings that are part of the most valuable works of Orthodox mastery of 11-12 century. Ossuary is located 300 meters from the present monastery complex. Bachkovo was host of the school, after our fall under the Turkish yoke Patriarch Maxim was exiled to the monastery, where together with his students developed an intense religious and cultural activity.
Although originally the monastery during the Ottoman domination in progress at that time the fate of most Orthodox monasteries were the same. And Bachkovo manatsir not remained intact, he was plundered and destroyed. In Karya 15th century Orthodox monastery was restored, were built and three temples. Holy Mother Church is the largest temple is known for its beautiful murals, especially the impression here will do the miraculous icon of Virgin Mary.
St. Archangels Church is located in the northern part of the yard, St. Nicholas Church is located in the southern part of the complex. Here you can enjoy the beautiful frescoes of 1841 years, which were painted by the great master Zahari Zograf. The complex offers its own museum, which are ritual accessories from different periods.