Ancient temple "St. Sofia" - Sofia
Author: Л. Иванова, 725 metres From Sofia. , Адрес: Sofia, пл. Св.Ал.Невски, Gps coordinates: N 42.6965633 E 23.3314204
Among the architectural and historical landmarks of our capital city stands the church "St. Sofia". It has a long and interesting history, interwoven with the history of the city. Older than the church "St. Sofia" in the capital rotunda is only "Saint George", which is the oldest Christian church in Sofia. In fact, today's building of the church "St. Sofia" is built on several other churches, the oldest of which is a Roman basilica of the fourth century.
The name of the temple, translated from Greek, means "God's Wisdom" - one of the names, which is called the young Jesus Christ. This name gets church in recovering from the destruction of the Hun tribes in the sixth century by order of the Roman Emperor Justinian. This will be the name of the city, but several centuries later, in the fourteenth century, when during the Second Bulgarian Empire, the church became a bishop's church. During the First Bulgarian Kingdom the town was called Sredets and the church was used as an urban Catholic church.
After the fall of the Bulgarian kingdom under Ottoman rule, the church was turned into a mosque were built minarets which were destroyed twice by earthquakes in the 15th and 19th centuries.
In our recent history the church was restored and consecrated in 1930 thanks to the efforts of Professor Bogdan Filov, in 1955 the church was declared a cultural monument. Today it is restored as a three-aisled basilica krastokupulna and is a valuable architectural model of early Christianity in Southeast Europe. In its latest restoration in the late 20th century, the southern facade of the church was built monument of the Unknown Soldier. In 1921 in the garden of the congregation was buried patriarch of Bulgarian literature, Ivan Vazov.
Voted (0) Rate