see on the map
Church "St. 40 Martyrs "
An important part of the history of Bulgaria's church "St. Forty Martyrs". The temple is located at the foot of Tsarevets hill above the old throne town of Veliko Tarnovo.
The church was built during the reign of Ivan Asen II - King of the Bulgarians, in honor of his victory over the despot Theodore Comnenus on March 9, 1230 in the battle of Klokotnitsa. The holy place represents basilica with six columns in two rows ossuary (built later) and two galleries. In 1327 it was demolished due to earthquake. After the time is again restored and dostroena.
Nowadays here you can see interesting and well-preserved wall paintings - "St. Anne Mlekopitatelnitsa" and "Saint Elisabeth Mlekopitatelnitsa Child with John." On the west side is called - Picture calendar, which are reserved only 4 rows. The frescoes date from the end of the XIII century. Until the first half of the XVIII century there was a Christian church, later during the Ottoman rule, the temple was converted into a mosque and everything was destroyed. Reserved known significant historical monuments - Omurtag's, Assen and Border column Rodosto fortress from the reign of Khan Krum. In 1964 it was declared a cultural monument.
When archaeologists began research in 1969 and 1972 was found Kaloianovo funeral-tall man 1.90 cm., Who was wearing a beautiful warrior clothes, which was stitched embroidery woven with pearls and gold tinsel. The man wore a large gold arm-ring 61.1 g and was quite well preserved. The ring is a sign depicting a snow leopard and the inscription "Kaloyan's Ring". The church is an archaeological and construction monument. Known Christian holidays in the church celebrates Holy Mass, and during the rest is open to visitors as a museum.