see on the map
Elena basilica village Anton
Of 5-6 km. northeast of Pirdop and just 3 km. by s.Anton is Elena basilica "St. Elias". On the road from Karlovo to Pirdop okazvashta plate is placed at the exit it. The temple is situated on the right bank of the river and Elena dating from the late 5th century and the early 6th century, built on an ancient temple of the Thracian tribe in the area of Elena, found large numbers of Elena bones associated with the legend of the descent of the hart of the Old Mountains and offering his sacrifice. The ancient temple at first had no dome was later rebuilt using the original architectural solution for the newly dome basilica resembles a fortress with its well-fortified walls and defensive towers, its greatness today there are only ruins. The remains of sites reach 8m. Between black cross stands the ruins of an ancient inscription, some early Christian church has parking. The church is boiling strong literary activity until 1700 when it was destroyed during the Ottoman rule. The object to conduct research and restorations is included in the list of protected monuments of UNESCO.