see on the map
The Etropolski Monastery “St. Trinity”
One of the best - known monasteries in Bulgaria - Etropolski monastery "Holy Trinity" is located east of the town. Etropolje, 5 km from the city. Road to the monastery shortly after the city, there is accessible by paved road. Etropolski Monastery is a complex of buildings - church, industrial and residential buildings, two chapels - "St. St. Cosmas and Damian "and" St. John the Baptist. "According stone plate in one of the restoration of the buildings, the monastery was founded in the far 1158 plate was cemented into the foundations of the monastery. For centuries Etropolski monastery was destroyed several times and rises again. Its main renovation took place in 1682. In XIX century buildings were already worn and about 1833 was necessary accommodation and stone wall to be rebuilt. New buildings wore full spirit of the Renaissance. The main church "Sv. Trinity "is a remarkable religious monument of Bulgarian architecture. Built by Ivan Boyanin known master of Bratsigovo building school, the temple represents the cruciform building with impressive size and five domes. The murals were painted in the temple of - later, in 1907. Unfortunately, there are no silver monstrance and golden crosses of XV and XVI in. - The most valuable relics of the past of the monastery. Old icon "Trinity" is still preserved and stored in Istorikoarheologicheski Museum - town. Sofia. For centuries Etropolski monastery "Holy Trinity" plays an important role in the Bulgarian culture. In XVI - XVII c. Was the center of spirituality in northwestern Bulgaria. The main activity here was attracting educated scribes and book designer. For two centuries they created many priceless manuscripts. Hard work of scholars in the monastery quickly became an important literary school. Today here keep valuable copies, one of which is the gospel, copied from grammar Boycho in 1577 Church holiday of Etropole Monastery is the Day of the Holy Trinity. The monastery is a monument of culture. Nearby is the picturesque area with karst spring and a beautiful waterfall.