see on the map
Kilifarevski Monastery Rozhdestvo Bogorodichno
Along the river. Belica, just 4 km from Kilifarevo and 16 km from the town of Veliko Tarnovo is located Kalifarevski "St.. Nativity of the Virgin." The monastery is operating and girls is one of the - oldest monasteries in Bulgaria, with a rich history and impressive architecture, surely one of the masterpieces of the Renaissance. The monastery was founded by Theodosius between 1348 and 1350 and quickly became a center of the medieval Bulgarian education and literature. Theodosius, who was a follower of St. Gregory of Sinai, looking for a secluded place for prayer and contemplation. Along with St.. Romil Bdinski, his companion found the place near the town Kefalarevo (today Kilifarevo). With the active support of the Bulgarian Tsar Ivan Alexander, who ruled Bulgaria from 1331 to 1371, was formed Kilifarevo literary school, only 10 years after it has already trained 460 students. Among them is the Bulgarian Patriarch Evtimii that after the death of St. Theodosius of 27/10/1363 has continued his work. The monastery wrote books, translated liturgical books, lives of Greek, Bulgarian and Serbian saints Byzantine chronicles, collections are concocting. After the conquest of Turnovo by the Turks in 1393, the monastery, most Bulgarian monasteries, was burned and destroyed and remained uninhabited for a long time. Several centuries later - later, in 1718 erected today Kilifarevski monastery at the foot of the old monastery, built and decorated the church Nativity of the Virgin. Part of the monastery was destroyed again in the late XVIII century, but then resumed. The great Bulgarian artist Nikola Fitcheto rises in 1840 today domed church "Sv. Dimitar". The church is a masterpiece - the outer walls are decorated with arched niches merged two-stage, multiwall drum rises pyramidal dome. Survivors of the 1718 murals themselves are reason enough to visit the monastery. Nativity of the Virgin church was adapted as a chapel of St. Theodosius. The old wood-carved iconostasis made of Tryavna masters in 1843 has been preserved to this day. At a later stage was built a chapel of St.. Ivan Rilski. The three buildings were combined into a single image, and whether today's "St.. Dimitar". In 1849 and finish construction were two-storey building at the monastery. Kalifarevski "St.. Nativity of the Virgin", frescoes and iconostasis of the Church of St.. Dimitar declared artistic monument in 1973 The temple festival of the monastery is on 08 September, when we celebrate the Nativity of the Virgin.