see on the map
Sofia synagogue and history museum
Central Synagogue is the only active Jewish prayer house in Sofia. The building was declared a cultural monument, built in the city center, near the Central Market Hall, the site of the old synagogue "Ahab and chesed" (ivr. "love and kindness"). The new building is a project created by esteemed architect Friedrich Gruenanger in a time of change when re-organization of French Jewish community konsistorien model. Construction began in 1905 and was completed in 1909 building has two floors, with a crypt, and it is entered through a large courtyard - a characteristic feature of the Bulgarian Sephardic (Spanish-Jewish) synagogues. According to Jewish tradition, decoration of interior space consists of Venetian mosaics, marble and wood, without the typical Orthodox churches images of saints.