see on the map
Lyutitsa Fortress, Ivaylovgrad
One of the best - preserved and most - big medieval Bulgarian fortresses - Lyutitsa fortress is located near Ivaylovgrad, 5 km to the southwest. The region is famous villa "Armira" unique architectural monument from Roman times. The fortress is known as the "Citadel of Kaloyan" and "Marble City".
Researchers of the fortress suggest that there are the ruins of the great and rich medieval town Lyutitsa mentioned in many chronicles. The city was the center of bishopric eight centuries - from 9th to 17th century, then was named Archdiocese of 17 to 18 century. Lyutitsa played an important role in the history of Bulgaria as his rise up the time of Tsar Kaloyan (1197-1207 AD). The basic construction of the fortress dates back to 4 to 6 century, lasted until the late 18th century, when the decline and lost its strategic importance to the defense of facility. Local residents moved a few kilometers from here, near the nearby mineral springs and village based Ladzha.
Castle ruins in the shape of an irregular ellipse and stretch for 26 acres. The length of the walls is 600 meters and height 10 meters. Eight of the twelve towers of the fortress have been preserved to this day as one of the towers is octagonal, two round nine rectangular. The archaeological studies Lyutitsa to now remains of the inner castle, tower manager, the foundations of two churches, well, necropolis with fifteen graves and remains of sewerage system. There are many artifacts from all periods of the fortress - jewelry, ceramics, architectural details, objects made of bone and metal and many other priceless artifacts. Undoubtedly the most - great interest is found here ceramics identical with ceramics of Preslav and Pliska. This confirms the assumptions of researchers that the castle was the center of the highly developed culture of Bulgarians.
Much of the archaeological finds discovered in the study of the fortress Lyutitsa may be examined in the Historical Museum of the Municipality.